Hi, my name is Annalee and I am a control freak.
I’m planning a wedding, and I am a control freak. Blanket apologies in advance to everyone in the wedding party. I’ve got everything picked out. Right down to the toe-nail polish. For the bridesmaids.
I thank God every day that I have my LauraBell by my side for wedding planning. I don’t know where I would be without her! So there’s my first bit of advice….
1) Get someone to help you. Preferably this person has planned a wedding before, maybe even their own! It’s awesome when this person turns out to be your Maid of Honor, and becomes your go-to-gal anyway. And, there’s no opinion I trust more than hers. She’s also the only person that can look at me and say, Hey. You’re being a control freak. Calm down.
2) Get the big things done first. You can’t plan where tables will go if you don’t have a venue. You can’t pick out bridesmaid’s shoes when you don’t know your wedding colors. Can’t send save the dates without pictures! Which means you need a photographer! You don’t necessarily need to know every detail of your wedding to book the important guys. Here’s who I booked first…
- The Venue. This was first. If it’s too big? More dancing room. Too small? Forces you to cut down on the guest list. Win win. Pick a beautiful place that you love. Check!
- The Photographer. You want a photographer that will be there for the engagement pictures, the bridal portraits, and the wedding day. And it’s even better when you find a photographer that you feel like you could be best friends with.
- The Caterer. It helps when friends recommend someone. It helps when all of your friends recommend that same someone! You don’t need to know how many guests you will have to book the caterer. Just give them your date, and work out the details later!
- The Clothes. Not completely necessary. We have plenty of time. But there’s something reassuring about having 8 more months to make sure that all the dresses fit. The shoes are in. The suits are put together and actually match. This gives me time to check in on the boys every other month or so and see to it that they ordered what we picked. Actually that first check in is coming up.
3) Relax. I don’t work on the wedding every day. Sometimes I’ll go a week with nothing crossed off the to-do list. But don’t you worry – it’s always on my mind! Good song on the radio – I’ve gotta add that to the playlist. Cute idea on pinterest? Well, those will never end, but it sure gives me ideas! It also gets me thinking about things I never even thought of. Plus, now I have a running excuse for needing a massage…
4) Google docs. Just do it. Not only can you share these with key wedding planning helpers, but no matter where you are or what device you’re on, you can edit the documents at any time. Song playlists, wedding party info, vendor info, and the endless idea list. Google docs. I swear by it.
I’m sure I’ll have more tips and tricks as time goes on. But for now, I’m just having WAY too much fun! I could totally plan weddings full time, if that’s all I had to do. There’s so much joy, so much excitement.
And goodness, when I’m working on the wedding, I think of this man. And that just makes me feel perfect.
(PS. Aren’t our photographers amazing?! Check ’em out!!! MagnoliaPhotographyNC.com)